Headquarters of the Association for the Safeguard of the Medina
& its Makhzen, headquarters of the Tahar Hadded Cultural Club
Dar Lasram is a palace in the Medina located in the rue du Tribunal. It takes its name from the “Lasram” family, notables of the Tunisian aristocracy, descendants of a Yemeni tribe settled in Kairouan. Built in the 19th century under the orders of Hamouda Lasram, a rich landowner and khodja of the Zouaoua (secretary of the Berber cavalry regiments), it was necessary to acquire, then demolish, several buildings, to form the parcel on which it was erected, 7 years during, between 1812 and 1819. The rich residence, with its plaster decorations, its painted walls and ceilings, its arches and its neo-doric capitals, runs over 2250 square meters and is made up of a store (makhzen) and the service house on the first floor, the main house on the first floor and the guest house on the upper level. Today and after its acquisition by the municipality of Tunis in 1964, the palace is occupied by both the Association for the Safeguarding of the Medina and the Tahar-Haddad Cultural Club, which has its headquarters in its store.